We enjoyed a South East London Chamber lunch yesterday where we provided a little IT consultancy around the cloud (internet). The title Harness the power of the cloud attracted around 30 local businesses. Death by PowerPoint it was not (we hope), the presentation covered a brief overview of what the cloud can do for organisations. Advantages and disadvantages were discussed.
- What is the “Cloud”?
- Examples of Cloud Services available
- Opinion of the Cloud
- Growth of Cloud Computing
- Who are the players?
- What gives the Cloud such an advantage?
- The Different Cloud Types
- Cloud Architecture
- Microsoft Office 365
- Cloud Backup
- Virtual Desktop / Remote Desktop
Our intention was to deliver some technical information to non-technical people in a way they could simply understand. This we feel was achieved and hope to do more of these type of information based seminars/workshops in the future.
As an IT consultant we like to give both sides of the argument for cloud, every business is different and with that their needs and expectations are too.
This is our conclusion:
- Cloud is an essential part of your overall IT setup. You can move over completely or just cherry pick the parts that make sense for your business and the way you work.
- Consider the key components, data, email, office, database, ERP, CRM, accounts, web.
- Public or Private is choice.
- The ISPs, telcos, and media companies control your access. Putting all your faith in the Cloud means you’re also putting all your faith in continued, unfettered access.
- What about the intellectual property issues. Who owns the data you store online? Is it you or the company storing it? Consider how many times there’s been widespread controversy over the changing terms of service for companies like Facebook and Instagram.
- Cloud computing provides SME’s with access to Enterprise level technology without the need for large upfront investment.
- With Cloud the IT is someone else’s headache, not yours.
- There is no one solution that fits all needs. Find an IT consultancy who can understand your needs and then help you choose the right options.
Do you agree ?
For more on Wavehill click on the links below